I Lost My Cool

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Exodus 20:12

My dad fell on Monday night. He wasn't using his walker and fell, although the physical therapist had previously told him that he's to a point where he has to have the walker. Even a cane won't be enough to support him, at this point.

This morning, my dad was watching a western in the front room and got up to go to the bathroom without his walker. I went and got his walker and put it in front of him. He was frustrated by this and said that by using the walker he's not getting stronger. I responded with, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. You just need to use the walker, so that you don't fall like you did on Monday evening."

While I was washing the dishes feeling vindicated in my response to my dad, God gave me the feeling that I had been rude and disrespectful to my dad. I went and apologized, telling him that it's normal to be frustrated to lose some of his ability to walk independently and I was sorry.

I feel ashamed that I responded in kind and have to remember not to let his frustrations or mine affect my interactions with him. I feel very blessed to have my dad with us for whatever time that God allows. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Exodus 20:12

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: The Senior Minute, www.homecarehoney.com via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog