Too Easy to Tell Me No

Galatians 5: 13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I love my dad dearly, but it is all too easy for my dad to tell me no. If I tell him it's dinner time, he will tell me No, that he doesn't want any dinner. Fortunately, I've found out that if my husband asks my dad to come to eat, he is much more likely to do it.

If I tell my dad that we need to go to the ER because of the symptoms that warrant it, he will tell me No that he doesn't want to. I have been known to call or text the my dad's nurse that Medicare has provided for him. He's been able to get my dad to go to the ER after he's told me No.

I ask him to do his exercises, because his ability to walk is waning, but my dad tells me No. Fortunately for me, God's provided a Physical Therapist that comes to exercise with my dad to help maintain as much strength in his legs as possible.

I think it's got to be difficult to feel like you have little control in your life when you have been an independent adult as long as you can remember. I think his telling me No is just asserting his independence when many of the things he tells me No about are really for his well-being.

 It has to be easier for my dad to tell me No than any other person, because I'm his daughter and listen when he says it. Although I'm a mature adult, it's difficult for me to go against my dad's telling me No. I've been listening to tips from some of the medical professionals about not allowing No to be an acceptable answer. I was told to tell my dad that either he comes with me to the ER or I will have to dial 911. I did this recently and it really did work, which is good, because it could have been a life threatening situation. Whether my dad says No or not, I feel very blessed to have my dad here living with us for whatever time God allows. Galatians 5: 13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Caregiving Video: Eldercare Step 1.2-Communicating With Your Elder
By: Dr. Marion Somers, through Craig Caryl via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog