A Difficult Decision to Ponder

A wise son makes a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother. Proverbs 10:1

I rarely post since my dad's passing, but recently I shared some info with someone. I thought it might be beneficial for others, so I thought to post it for you. Debbie

It's a difficult decision deciding whether a parent or loved one needs to be in a facility. In my situation, the doctors made the decision, because my dad kept letting go of his walker and falling and breaking bones. We were there, but he didn't do it while we were in the same room with him when it happened. Also, he kept getting aspiration pneumonia, related to his Re-flux Disease. The aspiration pneumonia continued to be a problem for him even after he went to stay in the Veterans Home.  They propped the head of his hospital bed up 45 degrees, as is suggested, but Dad would slide down in his bed and continued to get pneumonia periodically.

If your family member was in the military, he can go to a Veterans Home, although he may not have retired from the military. Some are better than others, and the one Dad was at was outstanding! He enjoyed the camaraderie with the other veterans. There's a way online to check out the ratings of different facilities.  I just got on the internet to see what I could find. These are the three government sponsored ones that I think are trustworthy. There's lots of other sites that don't seem unbiased, and appear to have a vested interest in promoting particular facilities, although they say they don't. I hope this helps!

Medicare Compare  This seems to have two ratings for each facility: an overall rating and a patient survey rating.

Medicare. gov-Finding Nursing Home  The facilities they list have to meet their rigorous standards. 

U.S. Health & Human Services: This has a guide to help in choosing a nursing home, etc.

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog