When Ya Coming?

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Ephesians 6: 4

It's got to be difficult for my dad to be an hour away from me and my family, since I am only able to get there to see him twice a week. Sometimes, the day after we've seen him, Dad will call and say, "When Ya Coming?...This afternoon? I have to explain that I was just there the day before and it will be several days until I am able to come again. Before the conversation is over, Day will ask me again, "You're coming today, right?"

Now, if my dad had big memory issues this would be nothing out of the ordinary, but he doesn't, although when he does get pneumonia, his memory goes temporarily hay-wire, until he's on the mend. He does this to let me know that he thinks I should come that day.

It makes me feel guilty when I have to say that I can't come that day. Sometimes, I've felt tempted to be frustrated with my Dad for trying to make me feel guilty, so that I would come more often. That's not what Jesus wants of me. He wants me to be a support for my dad in his declining years. Christ shows me that Dad must feel so totally out of control of most of the things that happen in his life and I can't fault him by trying to exert a little pressure in trying to get me there more often. I have been truly blessed to have all this extra time with my dad, even if it's only two days a week.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Caregiving Video: Physical Therapy Exercises for Seniors: How to Properly Use a Gait Belt
By: Dr. Steve Sudell, 24Hr HomeCare via You 


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog