Trying to Be an Example of Christ's Love for Dad

Luke 5: 31 And Jesus answering said unto them, they that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. 32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

My dad isn't an outwardly religious person. In fact, when I've tried to talk to him about anything related to his faith in Christ, he usually clams up. The tricky thing is that with Dad's health condition, I want to make sure Dad goes to heaven should anything happen to him.

Well, the underlined portion of that statement is where the problem lies. I can't, in and of myself, make sure Dad goes to heaven, only Jesus can. In fact, that when I try too hard, it has the opposite outcome.

I have learned that I have to try to be an example of Christ's love for Dad. I try to be patient when he's impatient. I try to be kind when he's been rude. I try to be understanding when he has a lack of tolerance, but none of this comes from me. Fortunately for me, Christ reminds me of how blessed I am to have this extra time with my dad. He reminds me that trying to make my dad embrace an active relationship with Jesus is counterproductive, but Christ has a big heart and sometimes works through subtle forms of love. I am reassured, because my dad even lets me read him a chapter from the Bible, periodically when I visit. God is good!

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog