A Difference of Opinion

Romans 3: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

The speech pathologist in the hospital had a different idea of what was best for my dad when he went to the hospital recently for aspiration pneumonia. She wanted Dad to have a feeding tube inserted and used for the remainder of my Dad's life, so he would be less likely to have another bout of aspiration pneumonia.

I, on the other hand, know my dad wouldn't like to have a feeding tube and really gets a great deal of pleasure from eating. What's more than that, my dad is very self-conscious of not doing anything that's different than what the rest of the residents are doing in the Veteran's Home where he resides. He wouldn't eat the pureed food, because it looked like a plate of baby food when the other residents had regular meals.

I could tell by her reactions that she felt I wasn't being sensitive to my dad's needs and was taking risks that might shorten his life. I, on the other hand, knew from a previous conversation with Dad, that he didn't want to have a feeding tube. I was frustrated by our interactions, as was she, but I have to remind myself that we were both approaching this situation with what we thought was best for Dad's well-being. I really tried to be prayerful about this, right after that experience, for Christ to heal both of our hearts about this matter. This Bible verse seems so fitting related to this. Romans 3: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog