Flip Side-Bed & Bathroom Plan 1

He who mistreats his father and chases away his mother Is a son who causes shame and brings reproach. Proverbs 19:26 NKJV

I have been overseeing my dad's care for 3 1/2 years. When I broke my heel and couldn't walk on it for 90 days, Christ helped me develop a new perspective of care now that I was a caregivee. One crucial decision is developing a plan to make it easier for the caregivee to successfully make it from the bed to the bathroom, especially in the middle of the night.

At first, when I came home after breaking my heel, I slept in my bedroom with lots of pillows to prop my leg up. Unfortunately, the weight of the temporary cast smashed the pillows down, putting pressure on my cast and broken heel. I invariably prayed my way through and ate lots of chopped ginger for inflamation.

When I would get the urge, I would use my walker on the carpet to the sink area. There was a narrow pathway to the area where the toilet is. I used my crutches to hobble into the toilet area. Upon finishing, I would use the crutches to help me get up from the toilet, while pushing the opposite hand on the bathtub until I was standing. 

This worked for a while, until the crutches got wobbly one night and I was afraid of falling. (I think it's funny, as I write this, that I said the crutches were wobbly and not me being wobbly.) Regardless, I was immediately prayerful about a different plan without crutches. I will share that plan in next week's post.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: CTE Skills.com via Youtube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog