Flip Side-Weight

Wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you xesire can compare with her. Proverbs 8:11

I was very blessed to have my dad's transport chair here at our house when I recently broke my heel and immediately went from someone overseeing my dad's care at the Veteran's Home to being a caregivee.

My dad currently uses a wheelchair and only used his transport chair we keep at our house for when we take him on trips. The nice part of a transport chair is they don't weigh very much and they are easy to lift in and out of the car.

We got a smaller transport chair, since he didn't weigh much at the time and it is easier to get through some doorways.

I realized early on that I would have to be careful what I eat while my foot mends or I could gain too much weight to fit into the transport chair. The tricky thing is, I still have to make sure I get a healthy amount of complete protein, veggies, fruit, calcium, and carbs to aid in the healing process. 

I was prayerful about all of this and talked with my husband to develop an eating plan while I mend. He would make a batch of beans, his specialty, followed by a pot of soup when the beans were gone. That way, I would have some variety and hopefully not gain too much weight.

For the most part, it's worked out well, except for two little things we've added. I asked my husband if we could rotate the types of beans, so that there's more variety. Also, he is very generous about putting crushed pecans on my morning oatmeal, because he knows how much I love them. On times where I think it's getting more difficult to get in and out of the transport chair, I have to ask him to cut back on how generous he is with the pecans.

Caregiving Tips Videos: SCI Gait Training with Walker
By: Pushing Boundaries via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog