My Surprise Gift for My Dad

And not only, so but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; Romans 5:3

My husband was flying home with my dad and my son was driving a moving van with my dad’s belongings and Dad's car in tow. I tried to think of what I could do to make my dad’s transition easier. Then it dawned on me…I should get him a stand-up recliner to help him, since he had previously fallen several times.

I did research trying to pick the best chair for the money. I needed one that had a battery back-up in case of a power outage. I needed something that was durable and would blend with the rest of the colors in the room. I found the right one and ordered it. All I had to do is wait to surprise my dad.

The delivery man came with the chair and my dad let us know he didn’t want a stand-up chair. We didn’t want to get rid of it, because we didn’t know if there might be a time where my dad might need it. What ended up happening is that my husband let my dad use his traditional recliner and my husband uses the traditional recliner portion of my dad’s stand-up chair. Two of my grandsons got in the act. We have their chairs next to Great-Grandpa’s and Grandpa’s, so that we have a row of recliners.

Although I was initially frustrated that my dad wasn’t as delighted with the stand-up chair as I had hoped he would be, he was right. Later, the Physical Therapist told me that it’s much better for my dad to not become dependent on other things to get him up. He needed to strengthen his leg muscles and will only develop them if he gets up and down from chairs including his recliner. Fortunately, God always sees the Big Picture and knew what was best for my dad in the long run. I feel so blessed to have my dad here with us. And not only, so but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; Romans 5:3

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog