Meals on Wheels a Gift from God

1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Although I love my dad dearly, he is a picky eater. He doesn't want to have anything similar for quite a while or he will never eat that food again. Because he has GERD, he needs to eat his evening meal by 4 p.m. With bringing my grandson home from school, I rarely can have dinner ready before 4:30 which seems close in time, but he wouldn't eat it.

Being prayerful about not getting meals in time to my dad who continues to lose weight, despite our attempts to fatten him up, I decided that I would make some of his favorite foods in a crock-pot, so they would be ready when he is. He decided that he didn't want to eat dinner any of those times I prepared crock-pot meals, even when it was roast, but I still love my dad and need him to gain weight.

We were preparing for a trip to a nearby state for a grandchild's birthday, but dad wanted to stay home by himself. We got friends to come in and visit dad and hired someone to come to stay with him for a part of the evening. We still needed to do something about making sure that he ate regularly. We could have a whole refrigerator filled with food, but he doesn't open the fridge door and take it out and eat it. Then, God answered my prayers through Meals on Wheels.

Not only do they cook a wide variety of healthy meals, but they would, upon request deliver breakfasts for my dad, as well. To top that all off, when we met with the Meals on Wheels Social Worker, it came up that my dad's blood pressure cuff had broken, and they gave him a new one.

More than that, Meals on Wheels allows my dad to feel like he is contributing. They don't charge any money for the meals, but are open to donations to keep this invaluable program going. My dad writes a check each month for his month's Meals on Wheels meals and takes satisfaction for paying his own way, although it wasn't necessary for him to do that.

My dad can eat his Meals on Wheels meal before 4 p.m., so that it doesn't interfere with his GERD. I have not only been blessed by having my dad here with us, but also through Meals on Wheels, a gift from God. 1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Caregiving Video: Meals on Wheels Checking on Elderly in Heat
By: WMTW-TV via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog