Dad's Walk About

1 Thessalonians 2: 11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, 12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto His kingdom and glory. 

Almost Every time I would go visit my dad, we would go for what he calls a Walk About. He would walk me around his garden and show me how his garden has changed, what is blooming, has been cut back, etc. I loved this special time with my dad as he shared his world with me.

In the last couple of years, there were a couple of times where he couldn't do his walk about with me when I came to visit him. I think that's because he didn't want me to see how difficult it was for him to walk due to his health issues. He has what they call Parkinsonism. This isn't Parkinson's Disease, but has many of the same symptoms and the declining ability to walk was one of his major symptoms.

When he moved here, he wanted to be able to help out around the yard. We knew how important it was with his previous falls for him to use a cane or a walker for balance, but it was not uncommon to find him out on the sidewalk with a weed eater and no cane.

I would panic, because I knew how detrimental a fall on the concrete would be for my dad. What I forgot to think about was how important it was for my dad to be outside and feeling like he was contributing. I was only thinking about his physical health and well-being, but he derived so much pleasure being outside in the fresh air with my husband.

Now, that he can rarely go outside for very long due to being less stable on his feet, I wish I had been more supportive when he went on his Walk Abouts when he moved here. 1 Thessalonians 2: 11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, 12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto His kingdom and glory. 

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.






Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog