Ground Food, Yuk!

My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: Proverbs 6:20

My dad is at the Veteran's Home, but he was getting ground food, because he's a choking risk and had lost ten pounds since he started. For me to lose ten pounds might not be a major thing, but for my dad who weighs next to nothing to lose ten pounds, it's a pretty major thing.

I had so much to be prayerful about. If I put my dad back on regular food, he could choke and die. If I kept my dad on the ground food and he didn't eat it, because it wasn't appealing or he was embarrassed to eat it in front of the other residents, he could still die. It seemed to me that his death was more eminent through his starving to death, because he wouldn't eat the ground food.

So after prayerful consideration, I talked to the nurse in charge of his floor. I had to sign a wavier, so that he would go back to cut-up food/chopped instead of ground or pureed. Once his food looked more like normal, my dad started eating again and even gained some weight back, although he's grossly underweight. I'm just glad to see him eating. It may not add years to his life, but it will add some time and I just want to enjoy every minute of it that I can. I have been so blessed to have had this extra time with my dad.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.




Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog