Couple Time while Caregiving

Ephesians 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband. 

Prior to my dad coming here, my husband and I used to go out to eat once or twice a week. We used to go to the movies every week or so at our Senior-Friendly theater, $3.25 a ticket. We didn't like leaving my dad home alone while we left to go to the movies, so those went by the wayside.

When he first came here, he was more ambulatory and could go with us to eat, although we only went on occasion. When he couldn't walk as far, it became difficult, but not impossible to take him in his wheelchair.

We applied for an aluminum transport chair, because it would allow me to take my dad to doctor's visits when my husband wasn't available to come and lift the wheelchair out of the trunk. The transport chair allows the three of us to go out to eat more frequently.

My dad had some bouts where he was more frail and we didn't like to leave him longer than to go to church. Very thankful for the Physical Therapy session that Medicare provides, my dad has regained some of his strength and we feel more comfortable to leave for longer periods of time.

We have started going back to the movies, when we find something we are interested in seeing. Additionally, my husband and I have started walking daily. Not only does it strengthen our bodies, but it strengthens our relationship, which is vitally important when you are providing care for a loved one.  Ephesians 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband. 

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.




Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog