Stubbornness Runs in Our Family

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4 

My dad fell again, injuring his other ribs. The time he fell on the front porch, he broke his ribs. Now, he was sure he had broken the ribs on the other side, but he wouldn't let me take him to the Emergency Room. I had texted his nurse, who said he needed to go to the ER to get Xrays and make sure there weren't any further injuries, but my dad was bound and determined not to go.

We were at a standoff. He wasn't about to budge and I was trying to get him into the hospital as per his nurse's suggestion. Stubbornness runs in our family, so we were getting nowhere fast! The more I suggested we go to the hospital, the more he didn't want to go. All I knew to do was pray about it, because God always knows our needs and what should be done.

Fortunately, God gave me the feeling that I should quit trying to talk him into going to the ER, which was counterproductive. God always sees the big picture and knew what was best. After a day of us no longer insisting on taking him to the ER, my dad told me that he needed to go get Xrays, because his ribs hurt so badly and he was sure they were broken. If I hadn't listened to the instincts God gave me about backing off, my dad wouldn't have suggested going to the hospital. I feel so blessed to have my dad here with us, but feel even more blessed that the good Lord gets us through the difficult times!  And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4 

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Caregiving Video: How to Deal with Aging Parents that Refuse Help
By: Dr. Mikol Davis, AgingParents.com via You Tube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog