The Smell Was Overpowering

For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: Matthew 6: 14 

My dad wanted to use the urinal, because he had a really weak spell where he kept falling. The idea of the urinal made a lot of sense, initially. It wasn't until I found that with his Macular Degeneration and age, his aim wasn't what it used to be.

The urine smell was overpowering. I washed the bedding, but it was still there. I smelled the carpet and spot washed it with the spray cans. I found the bed had the smell, as well. I washed his pad which helped absorb most of the odor. Fortunately, we had covered his mattress with a plastic cover before putting the padded cover on it, so I washed it down and let it air dry.

I was prayerful about all of this, because I wasn't sure what to do. It didn't pay to be upset with him. My dad was trying his best, but in the middle of the night when he was using the urinal, it was too much to ask for more of him. The idea that God gave me was to move the portable toilet (commode) my husband had from his hip replacement surgery, into my dad's room. I put a throw rug under it in case of a spill. I also put a little bag around the arm with toilet paper and his disposable garments, with a little bucket underneath. We put wet wipes on the stand near it, to use as needed. 

Fortunately, God reminded me about the unused portable toilet, because I was beside myself as to what to do. I feel so blessed to have my dad living here with us for whatever time God allows.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Video: Caregiver Help: Saying "Good Idea" Gives Elderly Mom a Boost of Confidence
By: Nancy Adcox via You Tube





Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog