Grieving Some of Dad's Losses

Yea, thou shalt see thy children's children, and peace upon Israel. Psalm 128:6

My dad and I used to play his Solitaire game over the years when I went to see him. He took turns playing it with me when he first moved in with us. After about six months, his Macular Degeneration got so bad he couldn't see the cards.

I remedied this with bolder printed cards, but after a while this wasn't enough. I started playing Solitaire explaining play by play what I was doing in case he couldn't see it well enough. Eventually, that wasn't enough either, so I turned the cards to face my dad and still gave a play by play commentary with each new play.

God got us through each of these changes, but I wasn't prepared for what happened this week. I was playing with the cards all facing my dad and he said, "I'm pretty much a Poker man or a Pinnacle Man, but I don't understand how to play Solitaire."

I asked him if he remembered that he played this particular Solitaire game every day for 10-15 years, but he couldn't remember it and didn't understand how it is played. I keep playing it in front of him hoping that it would jog his memory, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm grieving some of my dad's losses, but they don't seem to bother him as much as me. I have to turn these things over into God's very capable hands, because He blesses me as He gets me through these changes. Yea, thou shalt see thy children's children, and peace upon Israel. Psalm 128:6


Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Caregiving Video: Do You Have Short Term Memory Loss: Quick Memory Test
By: CeeDee, http://startremembering.net via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog