Showering Help

Great is our Lord, and of great power: His understanding is infinite. Psalm 147:5

We put a shower bench in the tub, so my dad could sit on the outside and pull his feet over while in a sitting position. I had purchased a pump bottle of shampoo and body wash, because God gave me the instincts to purchase these rather than him chasing after the slippery soap bar. I also read that a person could get a soap on the rope, but I haven't tried that yet.

My dad is very private and didn't want us involved in his bathing routine, but that made me uncertain whether it was happening frequently enough. I didn't want to embarrass him by continuing to ask him if he'd taken a bath, so I was uncertain how to ensure more bathing while maintaining his dignity.

One time, he had a spell of quite a few falls and was very weak. When he was being re-evaluated for services, we talked with his nurse about his possibly getting a home health aide. She said that my dad was entitled to those services and agreed to getting that assistance where he hadn't been open to that option prior to this.

The home health aide was very smart. She came and did some minor things the first time and didn't try showering him. It's a very personal thing and it takes time to build rapport with the person bathing you. He was much more open to letting her bathing him on the next visit and started bathing more frequently himself when she wasn't here. I feel so blessed that God has provided these services to help my dad be more independent and that allow him to keep his self-respect. Great is our Lord, and of great power: His understanding is infinite. Psalm 147:5

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: Caregiver Insights Foundation 




Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog