Would I Do It Again?

Ephesians 1: 8 Wherein He hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence. 9 Having made known unto us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He had purposed in Himself.

We're in the hospital for a few days, because my dad had a severe kidney infection. There were lots of lessons learned and that's why I have several different posts about this experience. I stayed with my dad each of the three nights he stayed in the hospital. Would I do it again?

Nope! Originally, I thought that I would be there to protect my dad by being able to get prompt attention when IVs run out. Instead it has put a strain on our relationship. They had to catheterize my dad, something he was not happy about.  The doctor came in to see my dad and asked me to have him breathe into this hand held breathing meter 4 or 5 times every hour. After several hours, I remembered that I was supposed to have him breathe into the meter and he refused. I'm the one who tells him he can't just jump out of the bed to go to the bathroom, because he has an IV hooked to his arm and a catheter bag hooked to the bed.

He made a less than positive comment directed to me. After much prayer, God helped me realize that my dad has had to deal with several new things that limit his independence and he connects all these limiting events with me. If I stayed home, it would have been the nurses who would give him the breathing meter. It would have been the nurses telling him he can't just hop up and go to the bathroom. It wouldn't have put such a strain on our relationship. I guess I can't make a blanket statement, because it probably depends on the situation. I will need to trust the instincts that God gives me at the time, because he always knows the big picture. Ephesians 1: 8 Wherein He hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence. 9 Having made known unto us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He had purposed in Himself.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Video: Insidermedicine In Depth-November 22, 2010-Falls in Elderly Hospital Patients
By: Dr. Susan Sharma, Insidermedicine via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog