Timing

James 1: 19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

My dad and I have totally different timing for our eating. We are the complete opposites. My dad is very thorough about his eating. He has to be, because if he doesn't chew his food finely enough, he could choke on it. He consistently chews each bite of food what seems like 153 times. It takes my dad approximately an hour to eat a meal and I need to be mindful of this, so he never feels rushed.

I, on the other hand, wolf my food down in five to seven minutes.  I tell myself that I developed this bad habit as a Mom Thing. Mom's are often always on the go getting their family fed, trying to clean up the mess from the food preparation, trying to clean up the crumbs that are developing under the table, while throwing in the next load of laundry.

With having opposite timing, we had to find something that works well for both of us. We both sit down to eat together. It's not long until I finish wolfing down my meal. I know it's a bad habit, but it seems to be ingrained into who I am. I want to still spend time together, so sometimes I will get out the deck of cards and deal out the Solitaire game facing my dad. That way, I can play Solitaire while he eats, describing each play as I go. It allows us to spend some relaxing time together. I am very blessed to have this extra time with my dad. James 1: 19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog