Protective of My Dad's Dignity

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.

For the most part, Dad has gotten absolutely outstanding care. We've been very blessed! This one time, we went to a different hospital and that wasn't the case. The young nurse tried to get my dad up which is near impossible to do without another person, because he has Parkinson's Disease. 

She tapped him in the stomach and said that he just needs more physical therapy and needs to get stronger so he could get up. Well, although he's had physical therapy, he's not able to get up on his own and when he does, he generally falls on the floor. He has had a hip replaced to prove it.

Several of the younger nurses wouldn't try to get Dad up and take him to the bathroom, because it's not easy to move him around, because his body gets rigid. They would shove a bedpan under him and leave it there for a period of time, which undermined his ability to dedicate, something he really needed to do.

I have to remember that these nurses just weren't experienced with patients with Parkinson's Disease. I know it's not easy to maneuver my dad, although he only weighs about 130, because his legs become rigid. We have checked into finding a more Senior Friendly hospital for him to go to next time. In the meantime, I need to forgive the nurses. They try hard and the experience will come with time. I was concerned that some of the comments from the one nurse were possibly hurtful to my dad and I'm protective of him and his dignity.  

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog