The First Part of Our Alternate Plan of Eating Dinner When We Come Visit Dad

1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 

My husband and I would go to see my dad each week at the Veteran's Home. We were really happy he was there, because they took really good care of him and he liked being around other veteran's who were also wheelchair bound. I think it helped him with grieving the loss of his mobility, because of having Parkinson's Disease.

Anyway, each week when we went up, we went out to dinner before going to our hotel room. Now, I enjoy going out to dinner, but going out to dinner that frequently takes a toll on your weight. My pants were getting too tight and I really wasn't sure what to do.

I was prayerful about all of this and the first part of the alternate plan was to bring my own food for dinner. At first, I didn't think that was so practical, but it has really worked out well. I have an insulated carrier. Before we leave home, put a pack of frozen vegetables in the bottom of the carrier to keep the rest of the food cold. I pack lettuce for our salad in a small BPA free container. I have started freezing leftovers of our meals. That way, I know they are healthy and the left overs don't go to waste. I usually pack some cottage cheese along with some fruit cocktail in it's own juice, because I need additional calcium with having Osteoporosis. 

We purchased 2 stoneware plates and bowls to heat the food and to eat on and some basic silverware at a local thrift shop.  This works out really well. Not only has it been healthier, but it's more economical. My husband and I really look forward to our meals in the hotel room rather than going out each week.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: Mary Alexander, Home Instead, Monkey See via You Tube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog