Relinquishing the Keys to the Car

The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother. Proverbs 29:15 NKJV 

Dad has Macular Degeneration. The doctor told my dad that he could drive safely in the area where we live. Unfortunately, in that Dad has Parkinson's Disease, his legs don't work right, which can be detrimental while driving when you are trying to put on the brakes. To top that off, Dad had moved here a matter of months ago, so any driving he would do near our house was unfamiliar to him.

Dad was reluctant to give up his driver's license. He was very headstrong on the matter, which is very common with seniors, because it gives them a sense of mobility and independence.  I didn't want to argue with my dad, but knew he wasn't safe on the roads, so all I could do is pray. 

Fortunately for us, Christ heart our prayer and one day my dad called my son, unbeknownst to us, and asked him to come get his car. I have been so very blessed that so many times when I didn't know what to do in a situation, Christ resolved it. It would have been nice if I had trusted He would take care of things, because it would have saved me many hours of worry and stress on matters. Christ has gotten us through any problematic situations throughout the time of caring for my Dad.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog