Flip Side-Family Gathering

An inheritance gained hastily at the beginning Will not be blessed at the end. Proverbs 20:21 NKJV

Instead of being the caregiver, I became the "caregivee" when I broke my heel and was told not to put any weight on it for 90 days. We had made plans for a family get together long before I broke my leg. I had made plans to cook an elaborate dinner, something I rarely get to do because of the distance. I had piled the spare bed with needed non-perishable foods, so it would be ready when we left. 

At first, I thought we'd have to cancel the family gathering, because of my heel. Fortunately, the Orthopedic doctor said I could still go if I rode in the backseat with my broken heel higher than my heart. It wasn't easy, but it didn't matter, because I felt that God had really blessed me by letting me get to go. I didn't even care so much at that point that I wasn't going to be able to make the elaborate family meal I had been planning.

I was in the process of rescheduling our gathering to a pizza parlor when our son and daughter-in-law offered to have it at their house and to cook the meal for everyone. It has been so truly amazing to see the way everyone has pitched in when there's a need over the last few years since my dad moved here. We had a wonderful time. Again, Dad's transport chair was an invaluable asset.

They were kind enough to offer us their room, when we had planned on sleeping on the couch. I really didn't want to inconvenience them, but was so glad they had insisted when it came time to use their attached bathroom. 

All-in-all, the family gathering was more than worth any and all inconveniences involved. I would do it again in a heartbeat!


Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: Robin McFadyen via Youtube

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog