Flip Side-Making the Bed

The Lord watches over the strangers; He relieves the fatherless and the widow; But the way of the wicked He turns upside down. Psalm 146:9 NKJV

I have been my dad's caregiver for the last four years. The first year, we provided all his care when he moved in with us to help him with his medical issues. The following years, I oversaw Dad's care as he lived in a nice local group home for a year. Then, when the doctors said that Dad needed 24/7 skilled nursing, he moved into a nice Veteran's Home to better assist him with his frequent falls due to having Parkinson's Disease and frequent bouts of pneumonia. It became the flip side of caregiving when I broke my heel and was told I couldn't walk on it for three months. I went from being the caregiver to being the caregivee.

I used to pride myself in making my bed every day. Pride is one of the many ways Satan can sneak up and knock Christians for a loop. The thing is, there is no way I could make my bed. Also, if my husband made it, because he knew I liked that way, it made it very hard to get into bed when I would hobble into the bedroom later in the evening. I didn't like to add to the large number of things my husband was already doing to take care of me, so I had to be prayerful about all of this.

If I were to hobble in the room, hopping on one foot, to unmake the bed, I would have had to reach beyond the walker and try to pull the covers off. Both of those actions would increase the likelihood that I could flip the walker over and fall. If I backed up to the bed to sit on it, my body weight would be holding the bedding down, making it very difficult to pull it out from beneath me so I could get under the covers. 

After lots of prayerful consideration, I realized that I needed to give up prideful feelings about the bed being made. It wasn't worth adding one more thing that my husband needed to do for me. Once I realized that, it no longer bothers me that the bed's not made.



Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: Dolce Line via You Tube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog