Using a Little Humor

Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 1 John: 4:11

When I was reading an article on how to help my dad with his progressing health issues it said for family and friends to use humor. I wish I were as witty as the person in the video, but I try and that's all you can ask.

My dad is an on-going fall risk and would prefer to walk without a cane or walker, although the Physical Therapist advised him against it. I realize that sometimes it feels like I'm nagging my dad when I have to tell him things over and again, especially things of this nature.

Being prayerful about using humor, especially since I'm not blessed with the funny gene, this is what I say instead. "Dad, here's your walker. It sure beats eating dirt. Besides, dirt gets stuck in your teeth." Usually, he just smiles and takes his walker, even when he doesn't really want to. I feel really blessed to have this time with my dad!

Although we may not all be as humorous as Mary Maxwell, if we're prayerful, God will allow the right levity at the right time, if we are open to it. I especially like her poem at the end of the video.  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 1 John: 4:11

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Caregiving Video: Funny Prayer about Getting Old at the Caregiver of the Year Dinner
By: Mary Maxwell at HomeInsteadInc dinner via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog