Do You Hear What I Hear?

And Jesus answered him, the first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: Mark 12: 29 

My husband wanted to go to a grandchild's birthday about two states away, but my dad preferred to stay home by himself. With being a fall risk, we didn't feel totally comfortable leaving him by himself for four days while we made the trip.

We were fortunate enough to have some friends within the medical field who came to visit him periodically during that time, but we wanted nurses aide to spend some time with him in the evening before he went to bed. We interviewed the managers of several different home health companies.

One of the managers had a conversation with my dad during the interview. At some point, she said that she thought my dad was quite a dancer and asked him if he liked to dance. He had a big ear to ear smile throughout this conversation. I was surprised when he said yes when she asked if he likes to dance.

About a week later, I was talking to my dad about something and wanted to ask him a question related to our conversation. During the conversation, he had that same ear to ear smile on his face and God had something click. I turned to my dad and asked him if he could hear anything I was saying and he told me no. It was then that I realized that when he's feeling overwhelmed because he can't hear, he will get that big smile. He will often try to answer with a yes or no answer hoping that no one knows he has no idea what they are saying.

After asking my dad about all this, I asked him if he does like to dance and he told me no. He said that he used to watch the other teens dance in the cafeteria during the lunch break, but didn't dance. I'm so glad that God showed me some of the signals when my dad is feeling overwhelmed by words he ca't hear. I feel truly blessed to have my dad here with us. And Jesus answered him, the first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: Mark 12: 29


Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.

Caregiving Video: Hearing Loss Example (produced House Research Institute)
By: wizland 123's channel via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog