Drawing Limits-Setting Healthy Boundaries

Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak. Mark 14:38

My dad had lost a couple of pounds in the first few weeks after moving here. He told me that he didn't want me to make any more food for him for the rest of the day, but I told him that he had only eaten breakfast and he needed the extra food or he would lose more weight.

His reply surprised me. My dad told me that the reason he's lost all his weight was because I was worrying him to death and pestering him about eating. I was in shock! It was hard to listen to something that sounded so hurtful. My first very human instinct was to say something back just as hurtful, but fortunately God stepped in and stopped me.

This is what came out of my mouth, although I was shaking like a leaf. I told him that he had lost all that weight in the years prior to moving here and that it had nothing to do with me worrying him to death and pestering him about eating. Then, I proceeded to tell him that I treat him very well and don't talk rudely to him and did not deserve for him to talk to me that way and did not expect him to talk to me like that in the future!

I think I caught him off guard, because he was dumbfounded. I know it's got to be difficult to be away from his home and loved ones, but I think it was healthy to draw appropriate limits, so that I didn't get blamed every time he was unhappy.

I'm just so glad that God stopped me and rewrote what came out of my mouth, because I would have regretted responding back hatefully. Fortunately, these interactions have been rare. I feel really blessed to get to spend this time with my dad! Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak. Mark 14:38


Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Caregiving Video: Preventing Caregiver Burnout: Saying 'No" to Our Elderly Parent
By: Kathy with ParentCareAlliance via You Tube





Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog