Talking in Code

James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 

I think my dad has a difficult time projecting that he is less than perfectly healthy, the way he wishes he were. It's resulted in me learning to talk in code to medical professionals. Since my dad is so significantly underweight, one of the first things medical professionals ask him is whether he's eating three meals a day. He always tells them yes, although he rarely eats three meals a day. They ask him if he eats snacks between meals and he says yes, but it doesn't happen often.

Medical professionals ask him if he exercises and he tells them yes, but it rarely happens without a physical therapist assisting him. They ask him if his bowels are regular and he says yes, but his constipation has been a major issue that has caused him to not eat on many occasions.

At first, I didn't say anything contrary to what my dad says, because it makes me feel like I'm being disrespectful of my dad. Then, I realized that these medical professionals can help heal him if they don't have an accurate picture of what's going on. I've resorted to hand signals, shaking my head behind where my dad is, and talking in code where I allude to the accurate answer trying to not sound disrespectful to my dad. It's not always easy.

Fortunately some of the in-home medical professionals provided by Medicare have allowed me to sent them texts. That way, I can address medical concerns about my dad without having to say everything in front of him. I feel truly blessed to have this extra time with my dad. James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Caregiving Video: Preventative Health Care for Seniors Video
By: RaffertyWeissMedia via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog