Needed but Unwanted Conversations

 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Romans 12:12

After we went to see the doctor following a recent episode at the Emergency Room, he told us that my dad has most likely been experiencing TIAs (mini strokes.) He said that the odds are that my dad is a prime candidate for having a major stroke, so he referred us to a neurologist immediately so he can head this off at the pass. 

Being a ducks in a row person, I tried to pick my timing carefully, obviously not carefully enough, to discuss financial issues with my dad. I told him that he should possibly see if there's something he should do at the bank so that I can help him continue to pay his bills. He didn't want to hear of that. He went back into his suspicious mode where he thinks people are after his money.

He went to his room and I went to try to explain that if he were to have a stroke, I wouldn't be able to continue to pay his bills for him. It's probably got to be terribly difficult to think of yourself being immobilized, especially when you view yourself as a very independent adult. I didn't realize that this conversation was forcing him to deal with this issue, because he told me that he didn't want to talk about it and wants to wait to see what happens.

 I tried to explain that if he had a stroke, it might be too late for him to tell them to let me write checks for his hospital and doctor bills, but he just wasn't ready to hear it. He figured I kept explaining things to cover up some greedy ulterior motives. I tried to explain that if we had wanted his money, we would have charged him rent for staying here, but we didn't choose to. No amount of logic was getting through. 

I was frustrated until I turned it over to God's very capable hands. He showed me that since my dad has had several TIAs, his reasoning is somewhat diminished. What my dad feels is what seems real to him and I need to love him and respect him in spite of it. Hopefully, he never has a major stroke, because he doesn't want to take care of any of the financial loose ends. These are somewhat difficult things to deal with, in that I'm a ducks in a row person, but I have to put that behind me and just trust God to take care of things. I feel really blessed that God has allowed us this time with my dad. Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Romans 12:12


Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Difficult Conversations: Are your Elderly Parents Resistant, Reluctant or Ready?
By: Kathy with ParentCareAlliance via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog