Advocating for My Dad

Hebrews 6: 11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: 12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

We had a physical therapist who was nice enough. Unfortunately, she put forth minimal effort, because she had already predetermined what my dad's medical condition was. She released my dad after about four weeks of treatment. When my dad was falling more frequently, he was re-evaluated for additional physical therapy services.

I tend to have a difficult time asserting myself with others, but realized that having the same physical therapist wasn't a good fit for my dad. I asked the evaluating RN if there's any way that my dad could have another physical therapist. I was surprised and pleased when they made the arrangements for my dad to have a different physical therapist.

We have been so blessed by having this new physical therapist. He pushed my dad to work a little harder to regain his strength. He assisted us with feedback to give the neurologist about a particular medication my dad was taking to see if it helped him regain his ability to walk. He allowed me to text him with questions related to my dad's falls, etc. He helped get a referral for a ramp and a transport chair, so my dad wouldn't have to be housebound.

This person genuinely cared that my dad made progress and didn't just put in his time and dash out the door. This physical therapist answered questions and provided his feedback, opinions and advice in many situations. He worked with my dad when he had become almost totally wheelchair bound and now my dad is walking primarily with his walker. I am so glad that God gave me the instinct to advocate for my dad's getting a new physical therapist. Hebrews 6: 11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: 12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.


Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Caregiving Video: Physical Therapy-Improving Balance and Preventing Falls
By: MoveForwardPT via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog