Power Struggles Over Food

Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old. Proverbs 23:22

With my dad being so much underweight, I used to try to tell him why he shouldn't be skipping meals and that he needed to have at least two nutrition drinks a day, as the doctor recommended. I could see my dad squirrel up his face every time I imparted this wise advice, which was very disheartening to me. Additionally, it turned out very counterproductive, because he quite often was eating only one meal as if to let me know who was in charge of his eating!

Being prayerful about this situation, the idea in my mind, which is often how God works in my life, was that I should be happy whenever he eats at least two meals. God created a compromise situation for both my dad in me with this. 

I told my dad that I wouldn't mention anything to him about eating, if he eats at least two meals a day. I still try to tempt him with other foods, since he is significantly underweight, but I don't make a big deal about it if he declines the food. I feel very blessed to have this time with my dad! Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old. Proverbs 23:22

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.


These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Caregiving Video: F-Tag 373, Feeding Assistance: A Video Training Guide
By: HC Pro via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog