God Helped My Doubt

Mark 9: 23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.


My daughter and I had gone to see my dad. He told us how good he was feeling. He was proud that he had taken three steps all by himself. I asked if he used his walker, which he hadn't. Of course, I felt compelled to remind him that he should use the walker, wheel chair or get staff to help him if he didn't want to "eat dirt", our pet name for falling.

I talked to my daughter afterward and shared my concern, which was initially difficult for her to understand in that he seemed to be getting along so well. I tried to tell her that it's when he's feeling good like this that he ends up feeling that he can walk again like he used to and doesn't use the walker, etc. for support and falls. It had happened in his short stay in the Assisted Living facility, as well.

I had hoped I was wrong, but unfortunately I wasn't. I got a call from my dad in the evening and he said that he had fallen earlier and he thought he had broken his hip. My husband and I drove over to get him to save him an ambulance expense. With having just paid rent in two facilities concurrently, he couldn't afford many more expenses, if they were avoidable.

We had taken dad to the hospital a week and a day earlier when he thought he broke his other hip, but the X ray said otherwise. I had hoped that was the case this time, as well, but unfortunately it wasn't. he had broken the neck portion that leads to the ball that fits in his left hip socket. They had to admit dad and the surgeon did a partial hip replacement the next morning.

Through all of this, I kept feeling overwhelmed after all Dad had been through in the last couple months and then to have this happen. I was weak and was doubting, but God gave both me and my dad the strength to get through this. Mark 9: 23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Caregiving Video: Teepa Snow Discusses the Ten Early Signs of Dementia
By: Teepa Snow, Senior Helpers National, via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog