Sometimes, It Just Hurts!

A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

I don't know why, but if I bring my dad a plate of food, try to help him, or make a suggestion, he will get angry with me. Sometimes, it just hurts! I'm not sure why he does this, but in trying to be of support to my dad, I try to hear the instruction that my Heavenly Father has for me in these situations.

When I'm prayerful about these things, I think that my dad's abrupt and sometimes rude response has more to do with his denial of his health issues. He so wants to be independent and capable as he once was a couple of years ago. He doesn't want to be dependent on his daughter bringing him food or cutting it up small enough. He doesn't want someone having to assist him, because he has Parkinson's Disease and can't do it on his own. He doesn't want someone giving him helpful suggestions, because he wants his old life back. He wants his autonomy, where people are concerned about how much he eats and when, and whether he's holding on to the walker properly.

I have to remember how terribly difficult it must be for someone to have to deal with giving up so much of their way of life in order to survive. According to the feeling I get when I'm prayerful about this, I have to not let his anger get to me, because that just makes us both feel bad. He's having a difficult time adjusting and sometimes, I have to just stand in the wings and let my husband or staff assist him, as needed. Maintaining Dad's dignity is much more important than soothing my hurt feelings. I am so very, very blessed to have all of this extra time with my dad.  A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Caregiving Video: Caregiver Self-Care/ Healthy Caregiver Tips
By: Sunrise Senior Living, Paul & Terry Klaasen via You Tube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog