Getting Dad's Dentures Out After Dinner When He Goes to the Hospital

Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. Mark 10:19

The previous post about his dentures reminded me of this. When Dad goes to the hospital, I have to remember to ask all those involved in the evening shift to help him/coax him to get his teeth out right after dinner. It doesn't sound like such a big thing, but I've learned the hard way to make it a priority.

There were a couple of times when Dad didn't get admitted into the hospital until later in the evening. Trying to get Dad to get his dentures out in those situations is almost a lost cause. There are times, where the nursing staff has just let him keep his dentures in all night, but Dad's gums are raw the following days and it makes it difficult for him to eat.

Knowing this, I have learned it's worth the struggle to get them out in the evenings. Unfortunately, often when he's been admitted, he is either exhausted from being in the ER all afternoon undergoing tests or he is disoriented, because he has pneumonia. In either case, he doesn't seem to be able to pull them out or help when either the nursing staff or I try to assist in removing his dentures from his mouth. It's a fine line at times like this. I want to honor my Dad when he's resistant, but know it's beneficial in the long run to continue to try to coax him to remove them.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.



Video: Why You Should Tell Seniors to Remove Their Dentures Before Going to Bed
By: Bill Loganeski, The Saturday Morning Diet, Joan Diet Bars via You Tube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog