What Seemed the Worst Thing Turned Out to Be the Best!

As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Psalm 127:4

My dad used to be a strong man, independent, well-respected by many, and a man of his word. His having Parkinson's Disease has undermined much of this. His legs can't consistently get the signals his brain sends for him to walk. He fell so many times and broke so many bones that he has to use a wheel chair.

When he was in smaller facilities, Dad didn't feel very well respected by anyone. I think he felt it was an assault on his dignity to be in a wheel chair and be dependent on others to get him in and out of the chair and on and off the toilet. I felt he was grieving the use of his legs, his independence and strength.

The doctors said that Dad couldn't continue to stay in the smaller facility, although it was closer to me, and they were very dedicated to making Dad's life as comfortable as possible. They said that because of Dad's continued bouts of aspiration pneumonia, he needed to live in a skilled nursing facility.

Neither Dad nor I wanted him to go back to the local nursing home. He had some negative experiences there. We checked out the closest State Veteran's Home in our state. Because Dad had been in the hospital and had immediate nursing needs, he was moved up higher on the waiting list and was able to get a room. I really wanted Dad to stay closer to me and didn't want him an hour away from us.

My dad is still a man of his word and that's something that can't be taken away from him, but now he has some of his strength back. Physical therapy at the Veteran's Home works with him to help him make transfers easier and that makes Dad feel less of a burden and more independent. He has his own room at the Veteran's Home, so that adds to his sense of independence. The vast majority of the veteran residents there are in wheel chairs, which has helped my dad's grief over his mobility. Many of these are vital men who move about the Veteran's Home, have conversations with each other, and enjoy the activities provided. It's been a real blessing for my dad and for me to see him happier. What seemed like the worst thing turned out to be the best! As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Psalm 127:4

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: Stronger Seniors, Stronger Seniors Strength dvd, Anne Pringle Burnell via You Tube



Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog