Having to Break the Sad News to My Dad

 My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother; For they will be a graceful ornament on your head, and chains about your neck. Proverbs 17-8 (NKJV)

My dad had moved where I live some time ago, so I could help with his health issues. His wife, on the other hand, remained in their home, so her daughter could help with her health issues. It wasn't ideal, but it's what happened.

Well, I found out the other day that Dad's wife passed away after getting a serious bout of pneumonia. Because Dad's doctors said that Dad needed skilled nursing 24/7, he now lives in a nice Veteran's Home an hour away from us. I didn't want to call Dad and share news like this. Besides, it's difficult for my Dad to hear on the phone.

My husband and I went to go see Dad and break the news to him about his wife passing. Before we did this, we talked to the nurses and some of the staff to look in on Dad periodically and see how he's doing. They all were very supportive and said that they would. Dad seemed to handle it pretty well, but wanted to fly there to take care of things. I tried to explain that he has an oxygen tank and that he shouldn't be flying, but that just frustrated him. It has to be overwhelming to lose someone that you love and to not be with them as support, although Dad wouldn't have been physically able to do so anyway. I just need to be understanding if he gets frustrated from time to time, because it may be one of the ways he's dealing with his grief. We will all miss her dearly and my dad doesn't always verbalize how he's feeling.  My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother; For they will be a graceful ornament on your head, and chains about your neck. Proverbs 17-8 (NKJV)

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: 6 on Seniors, CBS 6 Albany, Tim Bartos, Baptist Health Nursing & Rehabilitation Center via You Tube

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog