The Day After the Sad News

My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor detest His correction; for whom the Lord loves He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights. Proverbs 3: 11-12 NKJV

We had shared the sad news with Dad, that his wife had passed away. He wanted to fly there to help, but I told him that he couldn't fly there, because of his oxygen and he got somewhat frustrated with me. The more I thought about it, I realized it, Dad was responding to the news and I was telling him logical things that kept him from being able to be there.

I prayerfully contemplated all of this that night and realized that to my dad, I was putting roadblocks in his being able to be there and that's why he responded that way.  I realized that he just needs time to deal with his grief of the loss of his wife of 49 years and to give him space to do that.

My husband and I talked and I told him that I didn't want to talk about her passing unless Dad brought it up. I also told him that I wanted to sit in the back and asked if he would sit by Dad as they watched TV, which is what Dad always prefers. It's a guy thing! 

Dad was deep in thought when we got there and didn't really want to watch TV. My husband didn't hear that and suggested that we turn on a cooking competition that my dad enjoys watching. Dad was able to get lost in the show and just had the space and time to process his loss. Fortunately for me, God gave me the feeling that's what Dad needed more than my talking to him or asking if he was O.K.  My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor detest His correction; for whom the Lord loves He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights. Proverbs 3: 11-12 NKJV

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: David Knapp, Grief Relief Ministries via You Tube

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog