Food Discussions

To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven: A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted; Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 NKJV

I got a call from a nurse at Dad's Veteran's Home. She wanted to put Dad on liquid supplements, since he's lost some weight over the last couple of months. I explained to her that Dad doesn't like pureed or ground food and had gotten down to 128 pounds 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I prayerfully contemplated this for some time. I knew that I would loose Dad at some point, but wasn't willing to watch him starving to death, so I signed a wavier to put him back on whole foods. When started eating the whole foods, he started gaining weight again. Of course, someone had to cut up any pieces of meat to about the size a three year old could eat. The waiver was releasing them from liability should my dad choke or aspirate due to eating whole foods instead of pureed or ground.


After a bout of pneumonia about a year ago, the hospital's Speech Pathologist put Dad on a pureed diet, which he hates. She actually wanted to have a feeding tube inserted, but I knew Dad wouldn't approve of that. He got stronger enough back at the Veteran's Home that he got to go on mechanical ground food. Although he wasn't totally tickled with it, it was definitely better than pureed. I want to tell you that the Veteran's Home goes out of their way to make ground food as appetizing as possible. They take the actual pieces of food and grind them up, so they taste the same except for the consistency. Then, they cover it with gravy to disguise it. Dad loves gravy, but more so on biscuits.

He had been holding his own, but I got the call I mentioned above saying they were going to start adding a liquid supplement to his diet. I basically told her all the things I mentioned above and made plans to meet with her the next day when I went to see my dad.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog