Name Calling, Oh My!

My son, be wise, and make my heart glad, That I may answer him who reproaches me. Proverbs 27:11 NKJV



My husband offered to some of the staff to help themselves to the goodies we had brought over for Dad. I think they were doing what he offered, but to Dad, it felt like the person was stealing from him and he used some very choice words: *!?*. I came over when I found out and tried to have Dad apologize to this person for calling them names that I'd hate to repeat. He would not do it. He felt justified, because they were stealing his things in his opinion, and he couldn't budge from there. I apologized for my dad, who hardly ever uses words like that, except for, "Shit," every now and then when he's frustrated.

It was a very frustrating experience and I prayed my way through it. I don't know that I handled it the best way, but fortunately Christ had the following things on my mind the days after this experience that helped me better understand Dad's outburst. 

I guess it's got to be hard to give up your home with all your possessions and move to a place where everything you value must fit into one room. My dad is very fortunate, because he was able to have his own room. Lots of people have to share rooms.

The thing is, when you've given so much away, often not by choice, but due to medical conditions, you might become overly protective of what little possessions that you still have. Anyway, that's why I think my dad acted so harshly to someone he thought was getting into his food stash. I feel blessed that Jesus has allowed me to have this extra time with my dad. He never promised it was all going to be easy, but it is all definitely worth it!

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: The DRs, Dr. Travis Stork, Dr. Freda Lewis-Hall, Pfzier via You Tube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog