The Flip-Side-Hair

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, but the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous. Proverbs 13:22 NKJV

This has been an interesting experience for me. Dad moved in with us over four years ago to help him with his medical issues. After a year, the doctors said that Dad needed more on-going medical treatment for his frequent falls and bouts of pneumonia due to his Parkinson's Disease. Although he went to a great local group home for a year, the doctors said he needed full-time skilled nursing, so he currently resides in a wonderful Veteran's Home an hour away. We go to see Dad once a week, to visit and oversee his medical care.  

We used to go see Dad two days, but now that I've broken my heel, we had to limit our trips to once a week. My injury has flipped all types of things. I had been A Christian Caregiver for over four years, but now that I'm not very ambulatory, it's the Flip-Side and I'm trying to be A Christian Caregivee, trying to be prayerful about being gracious as others take care of me.

One of the considerations I've had to make is with my hair. I could get in a vanity mode, but that isn't a Christian characteristic that Christ wants in our lives. I've needed to pick a hair style that I can do myself. I've cut my hair short just under my ears. You got it right the first time! I cut my own hair. I think it would have been a major undertaking for my husband to take me to a beauty parlor, cast, walker and all. My cutting my own hair made one less thing for my husband to deal with. 

Additionally, I've given up worrying about what it looks like. That's another vanity thing. Besides, I can't see the back of my head anyway. All I can see is my face in a hand held mirror I keep in the bathroom. That way, I can see to comb my hair and put in a barrette to keep the hair out of my eyes. I still comb the back of my hair, but have given up worrying about what it looks like. Being A Christian Caregivee gives you lots of practice dealing with vanity issues.

Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.
By: Roy Naccour, ehowbeauty via You Tube


Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog