The Flip-Side-Food Choices

The Lord bless you out of Zion, And may you see the good of Jerusalem All the days of your life. Yes, may you see your children's children. Peace be upon Israel! Psalm 128:5-6 NKJV

Things changed about five months ago when I fell down a couple of stairs and was told I couldn't walk for 90 days. I had been my dad's caregiver, overseeing his medical care for his Parkinson's Disease at the Veteran's home where he currently resides. Since breaking my heel, I have now become a caregivee and have a different perspective on things.

Prior to my injury, I was the main person cooking, although my husband has some specialties that he would make from time-to-time. Trying to be a Christian Caregivee, I needed to be prayerful about how I responded to daily issues like food.

I had my own style of cooking and went to great lengths to make sure the meals consisted of well-balanced, healthy foods. When someone else is making all your meals, it's generally best if you are appreciative for the food you are provided, regardless if: it's cold when it should be hot, isn't one of your favorites, lacks variety, isn't what you were really yearning for, etc. Someone made that food for you as a caregivee and it would be less than gracious to complain about it. 

Sure, there's no way I could be just like you would have prepared it, but someone has given of their time and effort to make sure you are cared for, often at the expense of many other things they have given up to be a support to you. I think Christ wants us to be gracious in all things!


Since these are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my experience, they may not reflect the whole meaning of the verse.

I'm including You Tube Video clips on caregiving that I found interesting, inspirational, or might be helpful to others, but am not responsible for the content in the videos. Always check first with a physician before trying any suggestions mentioned.

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog