My Dad's Veteran's Home Neighbor Passed Away

Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to god by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

My dad lives in a Veteran's Home and we've gotten close to a few of the veterans there. One was Peter. We told him that he was like extended family. In fact, when he got sick, my husband told me that after church, he wanted to go see Peter in the hospital which was  1 1/2 hours from our home.

I went to see my dad this week, as I generally do. I saw a nurse come out of Peter's room with a gown and mask on. I wasn't surprised, because we wore gowns and masks when we saw him at the hospital, so that we wouldn't get or pass on his illnesses. I asked the nurse if she would tell Peter that I said, "Hi," because we usually visited him in the hallway or dining hall when we would come see Dad. She put her mask back on and went back into his room.

While I sat visiting with my dad, who had gone to bed to rest after he finished Physical Therapy, I saw a man roll a gurney up to Peter's room, but it had a folded flag sitting on the end. I knew this probably meant that Peter had passed away. I watched as they wheeled him out about 15 minutes later and was impressed by the announcement that this was the final salute to Peter. They followed that by playing taps for 15-20 minutes over the speaker system. I was very touched by how respectfully they did this. It also dawned on me that there will be a point when they will be doing the same for my dad.

On the way home and after I got home, I felt very down. Of course, it's only natural to feel this way after losing someone you care about. I told my husband that I just wanted to eat snacky foods for dinner, although I had some decent foods that would be easy enough to heat up. I just didn't feel like doing anything and didn't really care that I was eating snacky foods. I prayed about how I was feeling and the thought was to watch Father Brown episodes on Netflix, because the main character always reminded me of Peter, smart, witty, and extremely knowledgeable about so many things. I know my eating had more to do with my grief and my future grieving for when my dad passes, but right then, I just felt down and didn't really want to make the changes to feel any other way. Fortunately, Christ was there with me as I muddled my way through this grief. 

Always Check with a Doctor before Implementing the Suggestions in a Video!

These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog