Fighting What May Be Inevitable

1 Timothy 6: 17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; 18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; 19Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

The nurse told me yesterday that I should contemplate getting Hospice for Dad, since his remark that he's giving up. In the middle of the night, I couldn't go back to sleep. I had suggestions from a family member and the things the nurse said floating around in my mind. 

When I got up, I called the Veteran's Home and talked to the nurse to address my concerns about what was causing my dad so much pain when he sits. They had checked regularly for me, but Dad has no bed sores. I told her that I wanted to have Dad's back, tail bone and pelvis Xrayed, to rule out the possibility of a broken bone in his frail body. It turned out that Dad doesn't have any broken bones, but does have arthritis in his back and in his tail bone. The nurse was changing Dad's med, so he would start getting Arthritis Strength Tylenol. 

I did cross paths in the hall with the lady who had a purse that had the name of one of the Hospice companies. I asked her for some literature, but still mentally fought the idea of using those services for my dad. I was mistakenly sure that Dad might turn around and bounce out of this latest episode, one more time. By the time I was ready to leave, Dad was somewhat disoriented and couldn't get his lower dentures back into his mouth. I washed them off and put them in his denture cup. 

 You would think that interaction with Dad would have me be more realistic about what might be inevitable. Instead, I ate more than I needed that night and the next day, I got a foam bed pad to be taken to the Veteran's Home, hoping to make Dad's bed more comfortable for his tail bone.  When I wrote a note to the nurse explaining about the foam bed pad, I kept saying how I wanted to alleviate Dad's pain and make Dad more comfortable. Christ kept reminding me that's exactly the goal of Hospice. This happened several times, before I really allowed myself to mentally acknowledge the connection. I still need to be prayerful about putting my dad in Christ's very capable hands, instead of fighting so hard to divert what may be inevitable.


Care Giving Tips Video:Laurie Scherrer Early Onset Dementia
By: Reading Eagle,  Laurie, Roy via You Tube
Always Check with a Doctor before Implementing the Suggestions in a Video!

These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog