Taking on Control that Wasn't Mine to Start With

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. 

One of the biggest things I found out when Christ allowed me to lose 80+ pounds and to keep the vast majority of it off for over 30 years, is that a big problem I had was giving up control to Christ. All the years prior to that, I asked, "God help ME lose the weight." "Help Me become Thin." "Help me..." When I did finally put it into Christ's very capable hands after all those years and gave up [control] He allowed the weight loss. It's been an amazing and uplifting experience, but I'm back into the control doldrums again!

My dad told the nurses that he would like Hospice services for his pain. I couldn't get the nerve to sign the papers for him on my own and asked the nurses to ask my dad if he really wanted this assistance and he did. I thought that would make it easier, and it maybe has, but I keep trying to be in control so much that I can't feel any relief.

Upon signing the Hospice paperwork for my dad, they handed me a 59 page booklet. Being a dutiful daughter and a retired teacher, I felt I should read it all and as soon as possible. Right??? Well, the last two nights that I have been reading the booklet, I have had severe pains in my head. The first night, there was a burning sensation all along the right side of my face. I was concerned that it might be signs of a stroke, so I chewed up two baby aspirins. I didn't connect it to reading the Hospice booklet at the time. 

The next night, after finishing the booklet, I had severe stabbing feelings in the right side of my skull above and behind my ear. My husband told me to stop reading the Hospice information. I was trying to read the three additional, smaller packets of info they had given me. I finished reading one and a half packets and put it down, just in case my husband was right about why my head hurt so much. It still hurt periodically in the night any time I would think of my dad or Hospice. It hurt so bad, I thought I had an aneurysm causing the pain. Christ gave me the idea to take a Tylenol to see if it went away and it did. That showed me that the stress over Hospice and my dad's pending passing were getting the best of me. I was trying to control things again instead of putting all of this into Christ's very capable hands like I did over 30 years ago. I am praying for Christ healing touch in my life and a willingness to put the control of these situations in Christ's hands where they belong-not mine!

Care Giving Tips Video: Caregiver Training: Aggressive Language/Behavior
By: Victoria, Dr. Paola Suarez, UCLA Alzheimer's and Dementia Care Program via You Tube
Always Check with a Doctor before Implementing the Suggestions in a Video!

These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:

Relate2TheBible Podcast

Christ's Grace Abounds

Share the Joy Blog